The 2017 Midwest Wolf Stewards meeting is set for April 18-19 in Houghton, Michigan. The Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Michigan Technological University, and the Northland College Timber Wolf Alliance are sponsoring this year’s meeting. It promises to be another interesting and informative meeting given the continued discussions on wolf management in the region.
As with previous Midwest Wolf Stewards meetings, we will focus on wolf-related research and management. Topics covered will include: updates on MI, WI, MN and ONT wolf populations, updates on wolf management at state, providence, tribal, and federal levels, and the latest information on wolf research in the region.
The keynote address is on “Wolves of Yellowstone” by Doug Smith, biologist and Wolf Restoration Project leader in Yellowstone National Park.
Friday, April 7, 2017
Magnuson Hotel Franklin Square Inn
820 Shelden Avenue
Houghton Michigan 49931
Group booking code: 802956
Register online below or download the registration form.
Call(715) 682-1264 to register after April 7. There will be an additional $35 upcharge. Registration the day of the conference will incur the $35 upcharge.
This year we will be meeting in the Magnuson Hotel Franklin Square Inn located at 820 Shelden Avenue. We have a block of 65 non-suite rooms reserved for April 17-19. ($75 single occupancy state rate). If calling the hotel for a reservation (906)-487-1700 please ask for the Michigan DNR Midwest Wolf Stewards block. If making reservations online, please use the group booking code 802956. *See instructions below.
There are also three other hotels—Super 8, Quality Inn & Suites, and Downtowner Motel—within walking distance, plus at least four other hotels—Ramada Waterfront [Hancock], Magnuson Copper Crown [Hancock], Holiday Inn Express, and Country Inn & Suites—within easy driving distance.
Online Group Booking Code
- Go to houghtonlodging.com
- Click on the “Reserve Now” button on the right side of page
- Change check-in / check-out fields to match the dates you need
- Under “Rate Options” change the selection from “Room Rate” to “Group Booking Code”
- Enter your Group Booking Code: 802956
- Click the orange “Check Availability” below the rate options
- Continue as directed and complete your reservation. You will automatically be quoted the group discount rate, and your reservation will count for the room block. Please note that the Group Booking Code will not function for reservations with dates outside the blocked group dates. If you need to make a reservation that arrives earlier or departs later than the official group block, please call the hotel directly. Attempts to use the Group Booking Code for dates outside the block will result in an error.
If you are interested in presenting a paper, please email Dean E. Beyer of the Michigan DNR a description/abstract or a call to discuss.
Office: (906) 227-1627
Cell: (906) 250-8974
Fax: (906) 227-1621