- General Education
- Majors and Minors
- Directed Studies
- Ecological Restoration
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Geosciences
- Environmental Humanities
- Ecological Restoration
- Fisheries & Wildlife Ecology
- Geographic Information Systems
- Gender & Women's Studies
- Graphic Design
- Humanity & Nature Studies
- Mathematical Science
- Native American Studies
- Natural Resources
- Outdoor Education
- Pre-Health Care
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Religious Studies
- Sociology and Social Justice
- Studio Art
- Sustainable Community Development
- Sustainable Entrepreneurship
- Water Science
- Course Offerings
- Off-Campus Programs
- Summer Programs
- Academic Calendar
- Faculty Profiles
- Policy and Procedures
- Lecture Series
- Honors Day Program
- A Different Kind of Education
- Admissions Checklist
- Visits and Events
- Incoming Students
- Application for Admission
- Tuition and Fees
- Tuition Guarantee
- Access Guarantee
- Financial Aid
- Net Price Calculator
- Scholarships & Grants
- Student Employment
- Worksheets and Forms
- Tuition Management
- Important Links
- Financial Aid Staff
- Transfer Students
- International Students
- Summer High School Programs
- High School Counselors
- Request More Information
- Alumni Success Stories
- Admissions Staff
- Student Life
- Campus Life
- Residential Life
- Incoming Students
- Career Education Center
- Learning Outside the Classroom
- Student Support
- Student Resources
- Get Involved
- Student Life Staff
- Photo Gallery
- Video Gallery
- Fitness Center
- Title IX | Sexual Respect
- Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute
- About LoonWatch
- North American Loon Symposium
- Learn About Loons
- Research and Monitoring
- Educational Programs
- Newsletter and Resources
- LoonWatch Advisory Council
- Loon Ranger Training Workshops
- Timber Wolf Alliance
- Nature Writing Awards
- Chequamegon Bay Area Partnership
- Lake Superior Binational Forum
- Student Opportunities
- Contact Us
Brian C. '08
Falls Church, VA
International Student Application Process
Here's a step-by-step guide for coming to Northland College from outside the United States. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the admissions department.
Submit completed application form.
Submit official proof of secondary school completion
Submit official TOEFL score from ITS, SAT score from College Board directly, or an IELTS score (http://www.ielts.org)
- Minimum TOEFL scores required:
- Paper Based Scoring 525
- Computer Based Scoring 193
- Next Generation 69
- Minimum IELTS score required:
- 6.0 minimum academic
- Transcripts from Secondary or Post-secondary institutions in need of translation should be sent to:
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 USA
International Student Financial Aid
- To qualify for Northland College financial aid students need to complete Profile, a need-based financial assistance form, provided by Collegeboard (https://profileonline.collegeboard.com/prf/index.jsp).
- Northland College's school code is 1561.
- Submit Certification of Finances Form (PDF) and acceptable supporting financial documents to the Northland College Office of Admission.
- Acceptable financial documents must show the following:
- Bank statement on bank letterhead, stamped and certified by bank in original stamp or seal with the equivalent in US Dollars
- Date on bank statement needs to be within three (3) months of application date
Note: International students (with the exception of Canadian students) will be required to pay their first semester of classes prior to the first day of class. Canadian students, please contact your Admission Counselor for more information.Documents that are NOT acceptable:
- Photocopies or faxed documents are not accepted.
- Bank statements older than three months at the time of application.
- Letters indicating enough funds are available without listing the actual amount available in the bank are not acceptable.
Student visa (F-1 Visa) application process.
After you have been admitted, submitted financial documentation proving the ability to cover financial expenses, and paid $200 non-refundable enrollment deposit, we will send you an I-20 form.
- Submit $100 SEVIS I-901 fee prior to visa interview. Click here for information on how to submit the SEVIS I-901 fee (http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/index.htm).
- Contact the United States embassy in your country to arrange a student visa interview. If you need information on your local embassy, click here (http://usembassy.state.gov/).
- Take your I-20, your letter of admission, a copy of your financial aid application, and supporting financial documents, and receipt from I-901 with you to the embassy for your interview.
- The embassy will inform you of your visa eligibility and will make arrangements for the issuance of your visa.
- The visa application process can sometimes take several weeks. Please plan ahead.
Plan for your arrival on campus.
- Notify the Northland Office of Admission when you receive your visa. We will inform you of arrival dates and help you with your travel plans. Do not purchase air tickets before contacting us.
- Make travel arrangements to arrive in Duluth, Minnesota. American Airlines serves Duluth through a connection in Chicago, Illinois, and Northwest Airlines serves Duluth through a connection in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Make arrangements for final bill payment and other personal financial arrangements. Contact the Office of Admission for details on wire transfer.
- Review these tips (http://www.internationalstudent.com/study_usa) on what to expect as a student in the U.S.
- As a service for new students, we will pick you up at the Duluth airport and bring you to campus.
Federal Regulations for International Students
Academic study in the United States by non-U.S. citizens is directly regulated by the federal government. These regulations can sometimes be confusing. For more information on federal regulations relating to foreign student visas, please go to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis).
1411 Ellis Avenue Ashland, WI 54806-3999
(715) 682-1699 | Map it